Good Question, here is the short of it:
Quality, Scale and Fair Wages.
We like to say we are the craft beer of vegetables. People pay more for a Deschutes Brewery beer, because it is better and worth more.
We believe our product is better than anything else you will find in the grocery store. Here is why:
- Last twice as long
- Are on store shelves an hour after being harvested
- Is more nutritious because it is local. Produce loses 40% of its nutrients just four days after being harvested.
- It’s not just local, but certified organic too.
- Tastes great! Even kids will eat our lettuce with no dressing!!
- We use 100% plant based compostable packaging. No more plastic guilt! When composted at the correct temperature our packaging breaks down in months and returns to earth as plant humus. Even if it is not composted it will still break down faster than traditional plastic.
We are a really small farm. Our competitors like Organic Girl and Earthbound Organics literally sell millions of units nation wide every day.
With that kind of scale comes huge savings with costs associated with packaging and harvesting.
We sell a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction (you get the point) of the units that Organic Girl and Earthbound sell.
The fact that we are within a couple dollars of what those produce giants sell for is nothing short of a miracle.
Thanks to the support of people like you, we are slowly expanding. As our operation’s capacity increases, we hope we can drive our prices down to be even more competitive.
The ugly secret about most farms is that they rely heavily on underpaid employees. Even most farms in Central Oregon can not make their farm profitable without the use of volunteers and/or unpaid interns.
The majority of small farmers do not pay themselves for their labor time. With the long hours of farming, at the end of the day, they end up paying themselves an hourly rate way below minimum wage.
We strongly believe that in order to be a sustainable business that we have to pay our workers for their efforts.
Central Oregon is an expensive place to live. Our prices reflect the realities of living in this beautiful area.
Thank You For You Support!
We had no idea what we were getting into when we started Volcano Veggies back in 2013. We would not be here with out the tremendous support of our wonderful community.
We know we are not the cheapest, and we appreciate your willingness to spend a couple extra dollars to support a company that believes in producing the best quality greens that treats their employees right.