Good Question, here is the short of it:
Quality, Scale and Fair Wages.
We like to say we are the craft beer of vegetables. People pay more for a Deschutes Brewery beer, because it is better and worth more.
We believe our product is better than anything else you will find in the grocery store. Here is why:
- Last twice as long
- Are on store shelves an hour after being harvested
- Is more nutritious because it is local. Produce loses 40% of its nutrients just four days after being harvested.
- It’s not just local, but certified organic too.
- Tastes great! Even kids will eat our lettuce with no dressing!!
- We use 100% plant based compostable packaging. No more plastic guilt! When composted at the correct temperature our packaging breaks down in months and returns to earth as plant humus. Even if it is not composted it will still break down faster than traditional plastic.
We are a really small farm. Our competitors like Organic Girl and Earthbound Organics literally sell millions of units nation wide every day.
With that kind of scale comes huge savings with costs associated with packaging and harvesting.
We sell a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction (you get the point) of the units that Organic Girl and Earthbound sell.
The fact that we are within a couple dollars of what those produce giants sell for is nothing short of a miracle.
Thanks to the support of people like you, we are slowly expanding. As our operation’s capacity increases, we hope we can drive our prices down to be even more competitive.
The ugly secret about most farms is that they rely heavily on underpaid employees. Even most farms in Central Oregon can not make their farm profitable without the use of volunteers and/or unpaid interns.
The majority of small farmers do not pay themselves for their labor time. With the long hours of farming, at the end of the day, they end up paying themselves an hourly rate way below minimum wage.
We strongly believe that in order to be a sustainable business that we have to pay our workers for their efforts.
Central Oregon is an expensive place to live. Our prices reflect the realities of living in this beautiful area.
Thank You For You Support!
We had no idea what we were getting into when we started Volcano Veggies back in 2013. We would not be here with out the tremendous support of our wonderful community.
We know we are not the cheapest, and we appreciate your willingness to spend a couple extra dollars to support a company that believes in producing the best quality greens that treats their employees right.
Why is aquaponic produce a healthier alternative?
We are often asked, “Why would we want to buy aquaponic produce? And why would it be healthier than other store-bought organic produce?”
We put together our top 4 reasons.
1. Our fertilizer is from cold blooded fish which do not carry the E. coli or Salmonella, unlike fertilizers derived from warm blooded animals, such as manure.
2. Fish have no growth hormones, no mercury, no antibiotics, No P.C.B.s. What are PCBS?
3. Our plants have no antibiotics or pesticides.
4. It has more nutrients than non-local produce because it is not shipped from other parts of the country and stored on trucks for extended periods of time. Produce loses its nutrients over time from harvest to consumption. The longer your produce sits after harvest, the less likely your produce has all the nutrients it once had. Check out this report from UC Davis.
Our lettuce is grown locally and stays local. Our produce tastes great! We love it without salad dressing too. In fact, we all eat it straight from the box!
Our produce is harvested and delivered within the same day to your local grocery store.
We think those are some pretty great reasons. We hope you give us a try and let us know what you think! You can find us at Newport Market, Whole Foods, Safeway and Market of Choice. Love, The Volcano Veggie Team
We know why eating organically grown aquaponic produce is better for your body; but, we also know why farming produce this way is better for our environment.
Check out the Top 6 Reasons aquaponic farming is better for the environment:
1. Water Conservation: Aquaponics uses 90% less water than traditional farming. Water and nutrients are recycled in a closed-loop fashion which conserves water.
2. Aquaponics Protects Our Rivers & Lakes: No harmful fertilizer run off into the water shed. In efforts to maintain nutrient rich soil, farms have to use a lot of fertilizers, those excess fertilizers eventually make it the rivers, where there are countless harmful side effects.
3. Gas Conservation: “Food Miles” are greatly reduced. Our produce only travels less than five miles from farm to consumer. Only serving the local community reduces harmful gas emissions.
4. Energy Conservation: Even with grow lights, we use less energy than conventional commercial farming! All energy used in aquaponics is electrical, so alternate energy systems such as solar, wind, and hydroelectric can be used to power our farm.
5. Land Conservation: Our system grows six times more per square foot than traditional farming.
6. Resourceful: By growing in abandoned warehouses, we are using structures that already exist, saving money, energy and other valuable resources.
Check out our produce at Newport Market, Market of Choice, Whole Foods and Safeway! Let us know what you think!
The Volcano Veggies Team
We love to geek out on grow systems, tanks, produce, and fish. Here are 10 reasons why we love aquaponic farming and produce.
1. Our proprietary system grows six times more per square foot than traditional farming. We make great use of our building and we hope to share our knowledge of indoor grow systems in other urban areas.
2. Aquaponics uses 90% less water than traditional farming.
3. With our system, we can grow our lettuce and basil any time of year, in any weather, anywhere on the planet. We are not hindered by climate or weather. That means you get fresh local greens year around.
4. Because aquaponics recycles the water in the system, we can grow our lettuce in droughts and areas with little water.
5. We have less pests to deal with since we are growing indoors.
6. There’s no weeding! 100% of what we grow is intentional.
7. Due to the naturally fortified water from the fish, our produce grows twice as fast!
8. Our aquaponics farm does NOT require farmland with fertile soil, or even land with soil; aquaponics can be done just as successfully on sand, gravel, or rocky surfaces, which could never be used as conventional farmland.
9. There is no need for pesticides or herbicides in our controlled environment. In fact, we cannot use any of it because it would kill our fish!
10. Providing you with healthy, organic, non GMO food is our mission.
We are pretty excited about what we do! We hope you give us a try and let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you.
The Volcano Veggies Team
What can be better than eating organic produce? Eating organically can help reduce exposure to pesticides and weed killers. However, organic farmers may still use organic pesticides that simply cannot be used in aquaponics.
Bottom Line: There is no cheating on this with aquaponics: We can’t use chemical pesticides of ANY kind or our fish would die, period.
Even most approved organic pesticides would kill our fish. The fish act as the “canary in the coal mine”, and force the aquaponics farmer to be completely honest. Even our tap water in Bend contains chloramine, which is an additive much like chlorine that would kill our fish.
Aquaponics mimics the natural symbiotic relationship between fish & plants. Even traditional organic farms need to supplement their soil with fertilizers. These fertilizers can be bad for the over health of the soil and watershed. Since we are growing our greens indoors, we don’t have to worry about sprays from farms next door blowing in the wind over onto our crops, and we don’t have to worry about mysterious G.M.O. plants appearing in our crops.
Our farm is located right next to downtown Bend! We grow and harvest locally and we deliver to your local grocery store in the same day! You can find our lettuce and basil at Newport Market, Whole Foods, Safeway, and Market of Choice. What you are eating is 100% organic and completely chemical free! And, we do not grow any G.M.O. plants.
Please give our produce a try and let us know what you think! We love what we do and we believe in giving you the most nutrient rich and highest quality produce. We hope you love what our local farm is producing for you.
Have a question for us? Please leave it in the comments below!
The Volcano Veggies Team
Come celebrate El Nino laying the smackdown for skiers and riders everywhere. We will be showing the hilarious ski movie, GNAR while offering Free Beer, free lettuce, and free stoke!
Admission is free. Come join the fun at Volcano Veggies, an organic indoor vertical farm and co-hosted by Free Range Equipment, makers of sport-specific backpacks for light and fast adventure in the mountains.
There will be free give-aways, free Venture Fermenters Kombucha, and lots of fun through out the evening. Hope to see you there!!
Big news today… Volcano Veggies has been selected as a Grand Prize finalist for the Wells Fargo Works Small Business contest! This was a nationwide contest with over 4200 entries, so we feel honored and blessed to receive this award. Thank you to everyone who voted for our essay! The $26,000 prize will help us increase our growing capacity so that we aren’t always sold out at Newport Market. 🙂
More details here: Volcano Veggies Grand Finalist in Wells Fargo Small Business Contest
We are proud to announce that Volcano Veggies was selected as the winner of the Concept Stage at the 2014 Bend Venture Conference. Thank you to the EDCO, Bend Broadband and everyone who voted! A $10,000 prize from Bend Broadband, and another $1,500 award from Palo Alto LivePlan Software will help us to build a second grow system.
More details here: Volcano Veggies Bend Venture Conference 2014 Concept Stage Winners
Deliveries for Christmas week will be on Monday, December 23rd
Deliveries for New Years Eve week will be on Tuesday, December 31st
Pickups for Christmas week will be on Monday, December 23rd
Pickups for New Years Eve week will be on Monday, December 30st