We love to geek out on grow systems, tanks, produce, and fish. Here are 10 reasons why we love aquaponic farming and produce.
1. Our proprietary system grows six times more per square foot than traditional farming. We make great use of our building and we hope to share our knowledge of indoor grow systems in other urban areas.
2. Aquaponics uses 90% less water than traditional farming.
3. With our system, we can grow our lettuce and basil any time of year, in any weather, anywhere on the planet. We are not hindered by climate or weather. That means you get fresh local greens year around.
4. Because aquaponics recycles the water in the system, we can grow our lettuce in droughts and areas with little water.
5. We have less pests to deal with since we are growing indoors.
6. There’s no weeding! 100% of what we grow is intentional.
7. Due to the naturally fortified water from the fish, our produce grows twice as fast!
8. Our aquaponics farm does NOT require farmland with fertile soil, or even land with soil; aquaponics can be done just as successfully on sand, gravel, or rocky surfaces, which could never be used as conventional farmland.
9. There is no need for pesticides or herbicides in our controlled environment. In fact, we cannot use any of it because it would kill our fish!
10. Providing you with healthy, organic, non GMO food is our mission.
We are pretty excited about what we do! We hope you give us a try and let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you.
The Volcano Veggies Team